Monday 28 January 2008

Essay mountains

I have just emerged from behind a mountain of theory essays. I stayed up late last night and got up again very early this morning to finish the marking so that the students could have their essays back today. I am behind with the returns; they have been patient and I promised them today was the day. But, I find that of those left to do last night that I stayed up late to mark, only 2 students collected them today. I'm starting to wonder why I felt bad about the time it has taken to mark them...

One of the last ones that I marked (which is yet to be collected) was not good. Barely on topic, badly punctuated and a forced theoretical analysis that is best described as 'making it fit' without any sensitivity to what was actually happening in the play. Imagine the self restraint involved not to make terse comments when the final sentence of the essay concluded, 'despite how well the theory fits it must be remembered that we are forcing it upon the text'.

Indeed.

No comments: