Thursday 6 November 2008

Email circulars.

Here is a conversation I had with the IT helpdesk today:

Me: Hello. I've just started work as a temp in the Philosophy department office. Would it be possible to set up access for me to the office's email account, please?

IT guy: You want access to the office email account?

Me: Yes, please. I am covering the sick leave of the two people who usually have access, so I need to be able to check the emails in their absence.

IT guy: Hold on a moment, please.

[He plays BAD 'on hold music' to me]

IT guy: The procedure for that is that someone who already has access has to contact us to ask to have you added.

Me: But I only need access to it because they are both on long term sick leave.

IT guy: The procedure is that one of them has to ask us to have you added. It's a security measure.

Me: Yes, I understand that. But, if one of them were here to be able to contact you with that information, then I wouldn't need you to give me access to the email account. I only need access because they are both away ill.

IT guy: Well, maybe you could email them. Are they checking emails?

No comments: