Saturday 31 January 2009

Cakes

I was going to write a serious post about teaching women's writing and feminist theory. Perhaps that is to come - I'm still thinking it through.

In the meantime though, this is a frivolous post about cake.

I like cake. I'd go as far as to say I am a fan of cake. I was talking to someone the other day and he said chocolate cake is best. I think a well made Victoria Sponge could stand up to most chocolate cake, providing the cake-eater is not a chocoholic. Black-forest gateaux, however, is possibly the Queen of Cakes (any suggestions as to why I think cake is feminine?).

So, what is your favourite cake? And why?

1 comment:

Mosca the Grouch said...

Battenberg is the greatest of all cakes. It does not pander to monarchical identifications but instead is the supreme deity of baked goods. It looks down on Victoria Sponges and Black Forest Gateaux, allowing them to exist only so as to provide ample comparison for its glory.

(Although if you're offering other cake, I will of course accept in the interest of comparison...)