Sunday 29 March 2009

I agree.

I was just reading this post at Victorianitas, and was writing a comment, and realised that it was turning into a post of its own so I brought it over here to Falling Leaves.

I agree with everything September Blue says about the job market and her response to those who already have permanent jobs - and presumably salaries - who are not being sufficiently sensitive to the worries of PhD students and post-docs. (This does not apply to all salaried academics, I hasten to add, only to those holding those opinions to which she rightly objects).

I was talking (casually, on the bus) to a very bright masters student the other day who was planning on doing a PhD, and had had several meetings with members of the academic staff to talk about it. I asked her why she wanted to do one, and she gave two answers 1) She's interested in her subject and 2) she would quite like an academic job. When I said to her that the job market was very bad, and having a PhD is necessary for, but won't guarantee you, an academic job, she looked at me in complete surprise and said surely there aren't that many people with PhDs to take the jobs? I told her that the last short term teaching job I'd applied for (because there had been NO permanent jobs for 6months) had had 180 applicants, and she was speechless. No one explains to pre-PhDs that the job market is rubbish. And no one explains that it's not just any vacancy either, it has to be one in your area. You seem only to learn this from those who have been there / are there / are struggling to make post-doc ends meet whilst trying not to be totally disillusioned about an academic career.

I taught this student last year as a third year undergrad. She is not stupid. She is doing well on her MA. But you can't expect undergrad and MA students to KNOW things about academia if no one in a position to know tells them. At best, many academics who are settled in their jobs aren't aware of quite how bad the market is; at worst (and I don't think this applies to any of the departments with which I am associated), universities NEED postgrad students, and being honest and realistic in meetings with potential applicants won't bring in the money.

Yes, we should do PhDs because we are good at the subject and because we love the subject. But we should make sure that students know what they are getting in to. Those who really want to do it will do it anyway. Those who aren't sure might think twice about the investment of time and money they will have to make without any job guarantees. That does not mean they don’t love their subject. But loving your subject, as September Blue rightly suggests, does not keep a roof over your head, or put food on your plate.

3 comments:

ThePhDLitChick said...

Well you know my thoughts these days on this too! In short - I agree!

September Blue said...

she looked at me in complete surprise and said surely there aren't that many people with PhDs to take the jobs?

Wow, that's depressing! And yet I can totally believe it. Nobody TELLS them. They're told it's hard, but I think they're told that as general advice for the PhD itself as well - they are not told that the job-search part is hard in a whole different way to the PhD part, and that loving your subject and being really good at it are not going to take you straight from a PhD to a lectureship unless you're very, very lucky.

Anonymous said...

I am starting an MA in September, and have vague ideas about following that with a phd. However, this is my second career and I am 'mature' (late 40s). I had the, also vague, idea that I could find some part-time, temporary work as a TA (in a uni) or as someones research assistant. I take it those posts/opportunities are few and far between also. It is a bit depressing. This is a new direction for me, maybe I have left it too late. However, I am also in this 'journey' for my own self satisfaction. So I will keep my options open and my expectations realistic after reading all these discussions.