Friday 29 June 2007

Levels of good.

Well, it's been nearly a week since my last post so I thought I ought to catch up with the blog.

Got the introduction finished early this week, and I'm meeting Supervisor tomorrow (yes, Saturday - I'd like to say it's because we're dedicated people, and in some ways I suppose it is, but really it's a convenience as Supervisor now teaches elsewhere and we try to have a meeting whenever we're relatively near each other). After such a lot of time and effort, the 5000 words it turned out to be didn't seem like very much. As a friend said though, it's quality, not quantity that counts. Still, when you're so close to something that has taken so long to write, it is very difficult to test the 'quality'. I know when things are bad. I try not to write bad pieces of work. But the level of good, well, that's a mystery.

Supervisor assesses by levels of good. I wonder what I'll hear tomorrow:

1. Excellent (high praise not given out lightly or often)
2. Very good
3. Very good (you know there's a difference between 2 and 3!)
4. Good
5. Good, but...

In fact, the 'but' can go with any of 2-4, and usually does. Often this is disappointing to me. I think, occasionally, I'd like to hear an excellent and leave it at that. But it's a good thing really. Supervisor believes I can do better and pushes me to do it. Whatever I hand in as the final version will be as good as I can make it.

'But' is important. I shouldn't complain.

As long as it isn't a level of bad, I won't be too disappointed.

No comments: