Wednesday 14 November 2007

SuperMum

Yesterday was SuperMum's birthday. I did say there would be a separate post for this and, a little belatedly, here it is!

I thought that around her birthday it would be nice to give you some idea of why she's SuperMum. I can't list all the reasons, but here are just a few of them:

1. Love. SuperMum has endless amounts of it. For me, for my Sister, for all our extended family, and various pets. And it extends and extends. I can't count, or even remember, how many of my friends she has 'adopted', and continued to support emotionally (and financially). I met one of them yesterday, who says he hasn't been around many other people near whom he's felt so able to just be himself.

2. Generosity. Emotionally and financially, if she has it she will give it to you. Even at significant cost to herself. This also applies to her time. No matter how busy she is, she will make time for you. This generosity is both a wonderful and a terrible thing. Don't forget to show yourself the same generosity sometimes, SuperMum!

3. Patience. I don't suppose after 1 & 2 it will surprise you that she is in a caring profession, but both in a professional and private capacity, she always has more patience than anyone could reasonably ask of her. And, often, more than we unreasonably ask of her.

4. Professionalism. SuperMum's job requires her to deal with people who behave badly, and in a professional way. And some professionals who are unprofessional. And no matter how much she wants to do otherwise, she deals with them reasonably, calmly, with patience and above all with professionalism.

5. Strength. No matter what is thrown at her - and she's had more than her share of difficulties, professional and personal - she keeps going. And she does it with an abundance of 1, 2, 3 & 4 above. I don't know how, but she does.

I hope I show some of these qualities too, and if I do, then it's down to her.

Thank you for being a wonderful Mum.

Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

ThePhDLitChick said...

You're a very, very lucky girl - I was I was able to say all of those things.