Tuesday 23 October 2007

Fast food...

I have come across something I think everyone should know about. If you're just finishing your PhD, if you've just started a new job, if you have a very busy schedule and are away from home most of the day, if you just fancy a relatively healthy snack on the go...

In the campus shops here I have discovered - Take Away Cereal.

Really. The good people at Kelloggs have come up with little pots of cereal, with plastic fold-up spoon and little carton of milk which are all in a handy sized pack that you can carry around with you. It is cereal 'to go', it says. And I think it's wonderful! Why has no one thought of this before???

Now, I'm not suggesting that this should be an alternative to everyday 'pour your cereal into a bowl and add milk' (or not, as your preference dictates) cereal eating habits. And I'm not lazy enough to be glad about this because it is a very good way of avoiding a lot of my dirty dishes (and I'm hoping it's all made from recyclable packaging so that I don't have to feel too guilty about the extra rubbish). But, as a snack, while I have to stay late at my desk, or as an alternative to the cheese sandwich with which vegetarians who have not brought their own lunch are always presented in shops - even in different varieties, it's still cheese - cereal 'to go' is my new favourite food. The only problem is, the cereal portions just aren't quite big enough...

4 comments:

ThePhDLitChick said...

Ooooh - how handy! I have yet to discover such delights! My recent excitement has come from getting a microwave from my parents! My mother was worried at the thought of me dragging myself home after hours of work and then having to make a meal so got me a microwave so I can speedily heat up some stew or suchlike. But what have I found? Dolmio pasta sachets. You get a sauce and a bag of pasta - open, zap, and it's ready in about 2 minutes! YAY!

Anonymous said...

This is such a ghastly sign of the times and society we live in. Ready to go cereal? i mean cereal IS ready to go in that you just pour it into a bowl!! I hadn't seen these but i spotted one in tesco this evening when i was shopping. I gawped. Its unbelievable!!
Mind you i do sympathsie with the hectic schedule thing. I worked right through a ten hour shift the otehr day without stopping and then realised i'd only eaten a banana that morning.. but think of the potential weight loss!!
R

Autumn Song said...

You, R, should know better than dieting by not eating, and that only eating a banana in a 10hr shift is VERY bad for you. Do not do it again. ;)

I agree, cereal is 'ready to go' in the way you describe, but with this, you don't need to carry a bottle of mile, or a bowl or a spoon either! I think it's just a genius idea!!

thephdlitchick - have fun with the microwave! I'm slightly less of a fan (I like to cook vegetables etc...), but I agree, microwave pasta sauce is a fabulous invention.

Autumn Song said...

... or even 'a bottle of milk'. I'm not well today. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.