Wednesday 10 October 2007

Update 1

Hello! Long time no blogging from me. But, to be fair, I have been a little busy! I have found somewhere to live, although can't move in to it yet, so am staying in a lovely Bed and Breakfast for the days of the week that I have to be on campus, and with my mum for the rest of the time. I have been to a wedding - Congratulations to the bride and groom - and I have started my new job. As it was introductory week, I didn't have too much prep to do, but I have to write a lecture for a week on Monday, and there is, of course, much more reading to do for the seminars from now on.

Learning my students' names - something I pride myself on - is going to be tricky this year. I have 12 tutorial groups, mostly in the same 2 rooms, so I'm afraid they are all merging into one at the moment. I'm sure as the personalities of the individuals and the groups emerge I'll find it easier to separate them and remember students' names, but it may take me longer than the usual week to learn names this time. Sorry!

Everyone I've met here seems to be very friendly and supportive. And although I'm missing my friends in the beautiful Scottish City where I used to live very much indeed, moving onwards and upwards is what I need to do. As much as it would be very comfortable, you can't stay a postgrad student in the place you know well for ever. And to be honest, who would want to?

3 comments:

ThePhDLitChick said...

Glad to hear it's going well. Will you be sharing in your new home or will you have it all to yourself?
As for learning the names of each of the students, I stand in awe of you! I tend only to remember the names of those who are exceptional in some way, be it for always coming late, or talking too much, or saying the wrong things consistently!

Autumn Song said...

Nope. New home all for me and the Little Dog. It'll be a big transition for her as well as for me. I'm a little worried about no longer having my army of dog sitters too, but between us the Little Dog and I will work it out! [Fingers crossed].

September Blue said...

I can never remember them after one week anyway (I have about a 60% success rate by week 2), but some of this semester's names are especially foggy. In my defence, any student who I've only met ONCE this semester cannot expect to have me remember who they are!