Wednesday 6 February 2008

This week's theory...

My theory seminars this week allowed me to write 'Buffy?' (as in vampire slayer) as a good example in the margin of the article we were discussing, and have an entirely academic conversation about Dr Who during the seminar. I could also have sensibly answered a student's question with "Yes. Think about Brad Pitt's body in Troy", but exercised a certain amount of restraint (I told them to think about Renaissance art sculptures instead).

Sometimes, although not often, I like teaching theory!

2 comments:

September Blue said...

What's worrying me slightly is that I remember using Brad Pitt in Troy as an example of something in a tutorial once, but I can no longer remember the context. And I'm fairly sure it wouldn't exonerate me if I did. Er.

(How long do you think we've got before the born-in-the-90s students mess up all of our pop-culture references with "Joss who?" That will be a sad, sad day.)

Autumn Song said...

It will indeed, September Blue.

In fact, I was writing a note to myself to use a pop-culture example of some sort (I forget what it was now) and then decided against it for fear of feeling old when they didn't get the reference.