Tuesday 26 February 2008

The news in brief. Or not so brief...

Well, it's been quite a week (and it's only Tuesday!). Really, I mean in a 7 days sort of way...

Today at 2pm I gave a lecture I finished writing at 1pm and taught a class 1-2pm. Cutting it a bit fine, eh?

Yesterday I gave a lecture I finished last Friday. Had I finished it on Wednesday according to the original plan which, as ever, was foiled by my inability to decide when enough reading is enough, or force myself to sit and write things before the matter becomes urgent, I could have finished today's lecture before today. I say I could have, but well, see the stuff about sticking to plans I just said...

And last week was mid term reading week. I'm very glad I wasn't teaching then.

Tomorrow, I'm having one of my classes observed. I'm so tired from the seemingly unrelenting lecture prep I've been doing for a week (immediately after finishing the marking I've been doing for ... ever???) that I can't even think about tomorrow's class. Let's hope the students in that class come with their best 'enquiring minds' and are trying to help me out. Some of them will. They are bright students, who enjoy lively discussion and usually come prepared. Some of them, however, don't like me ever since I drew attention to the fact that I knew that when they were supposed to be doing group work they were actually talking about how to excuse yourself from seminar absences (I swear I heard, 'Well, when you look at it, you've got 4 grandparents' come out of one of their mouths - in the middle of a seminar, when they were supposed to be doing something else and I hadn't left the room. Come on boys, use your brains, just a little bit).

This weekend Sees Through the Eyes of Children and I are going to a school reunion. It seems that there will, this year, be more people there that we might know. Maybe a post on this at a later date.

The weekend after that I have an interview for a post doc job down south. Way down South. Hey, I'm trying to get back up North! This was not the plan.

I forgot to publicly congratulate Aspiring Author on his new job. Well done. This is not 'news' so much any more, but I don't want to miss him out.

Needs Buckets More Confidence has also just got a permanent teaching job at a place she wants to be. I'm so very very pleased for her too. Hopefully this will start to give you the Buckets More Confidence that you need.

I have signed up to an internet provider for the New Flat. Hopefully will be connected in the next week or so. I am looking forward to that with some excitement. I might then post more frequently. Who knows? That way, I wouldn't have to try to squeeze all news into one hurried post...

No comments: