Friday 1 August 2008

Time keeping

This morning I went to the dentist. My appointment was at 10am. I never expect these things to go exactly on time so I wasn't surprised, or even particularly cross, when 10am came and went, and I was still waiting.

At 10.20, the dental nurse came into the waiting room: "Autumn Song?" I stood up. "We're running about 20 minutes late. Are you happy to wait?" I was a little confused. It's a bit late to ask if I'm happy to wait the 20 minutes I've already waited.

"You mean it will be another 20 minutes?", I asked.

"Yes. We're running 20 minutes late".

"But I've already waited 20 minutes. So you're running 40 minutes late?"

"What time was your appointment?"

"10am"

"What time is it now?"

"20 past 10".

"Well, we'll be another 20 minutes".

"So, you're running 40 minutes late." I confirm.

She asks again if I'm OK to wait, and I say yes. She turns to the lady whose appointment is after mine.

"Are you also OK to wait?" she asks, "We're running half an hour late."

No comments: