Wednesday 16 May 2012

Beautiful Beliefs (1)

Amy Palko has started a group writing project called Beautiful Beliefs, in which she offers a post every Wednesday that begins with ‘I believe that...’ and invites others to write posts about their beliefs and share through her site.


So, here goes:

I believe that....

Sharing what we believe can be difficult. I am, now, tentative about writing this post and offering it to the web for others to see, read and comment on. This is not because I don’t have firmly held beliefs, or that I feel that my beliefs are objectionable or offensive, but because I don’t expect other people to share them. I am vegetarian because I believe that cows and pigs are no different from dogs, cats, rabbits, and since we don’t have to eat meat to survive, killing animals for food (or to breed them in poor conditions in order to keep stocks high) is unnecessary. But, I don’t think that everyone else should have to be vegetarian if they do not share my belief. I don’t like getting into debates over vegetarianism, not because I believe I am wrong, but because I don’t believe that I can or should tell my omnivore friends what they ought to have in their diet. I don’t feel a need to convert them to my point of view.

This is why I find sharing these sorts of beliefs difficult. My beliefs are not theirs, and theirs are not mine.

I believe in God, but I am not out to convert atheists, agnostics, or convince those of other religions that my God is the one and only. Maybe He isn’t. Maybe in other religions He is called something else, or has many faces / incarnations. I do not mean here to exclude those with spirituality outside of religion, either. I believe that belief - faith - like this is personal, not corporate or competitive, and that we should allow each other to go on in own our faith/beliefs, as long as these do not hurt other people.

I wish people would not challenge me on my beliefs, not because they are shaky, but because it requires me to respond in kind – to challenge theirs in an attempt to persuade them to my way of thinking.

There are, of course, exceptions to this sort of relativism (practices which cause any sort of pain to other people, for example) but for the most part, I believe that openness and acceptance of difference would make the world a happier place.

Amy’s writing circle invites us to share our beliefs and to connect, leave comments, and lend support to each other in what makes us ourselves. I think this is a wonderful idea. A place to share beliefs without pressing them or overtly challenging others - to discuss without judgment. I love and respect Amy’s warmth and openness and will try, every week, to share a bit of what I believe.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for bravely sharing. I agree wholeheartedly that people don;t need to share my beliefs, that it is not my work to convince them. It is my work to live them and provide an example . . . hmm I guess that is the subject for my 'I believe . . .' post -- :-)

Nikki Turner said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful beliefs... I agree with you that the world would indeed be a happier world if each were allowed to own their own beliefs, to share them and communicate them without fear of condemnation, control and prejudice. Our beliefs are like our own unique finger prints, they are our make-up and are different in each and every one of us.

Karen B said...

Thank you for your brave post. I agree that our world would be happier if we all embraced our differences and did not feel the need to impose our own beliefs on others. Continue to be brave and post your beliefs - I'd love to read them!

Autumn Song said...

Thank you for these supportive comments - Amy is certainly in touch with some lovely people!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this in the past - i've had comments from vegetarian friends in which they've expression physical revulsion towards my food and described eating meat as murder. I happen not to believe this, I happen to believe that ethical, wonderful meat is available if you purchase organic, free range meat. But while I might ask someone to tell me more about their choice, I would not challenge them on it - it's their choice, it's their opinion and it's therefreo as valid as anyone else's. I'm never sure why some people feel they must impose an opinion on others. So here's to sharing freely, to exchanging ideas!