Wednesday 23 May 2012

Beautiful Beliefs (2)

I believe that...

We can be our own worst enemies.


Some time ago I wrote this post in relation to a student I was teaching in his first year. His enthusiasm and interest remained throughout his time at university, but he suffered from crippling anxiety when it came to assessments. He was given extensions to different deadlines because his anxiety about it not being good enough was so bad that it prevented him from finishing and submitting his work. He got through to the final year, and could not sit his exams or submit his dissertation. I was not supervising him, but have absolutely no doubt that it would have been an excellent piece of work. He was given the opportunity to defer these assessments. He contacted me after I’d left the University in the City where the Castle is also a Prison to ask if he could come to talk to me about one of the units as the exam came around again. I had to reply to tell him I was no longer in the city, but was sure one of the other early modernists would help him. I heard no more from him.

I have been away from this blog for a long time – half-scribbling posts that never got written – so when I came back I read over some of my older posts to remind me what I used to do, and came across that post about him. I emailed my friend, Very Efficient Undergrad Secretary, to ask how he was doing and if he had managed to submit his dissertation this year. She told me that he had decided to withdraw from university at Easter, before any of the assessments took place.

I was genuinely saddened by this news. He had so much potential as a Lit student, and I know he could have finished with a good 2.1 degree, if not a first class one. He was certainly intellectually capable of it. But his lack of self-belief meant that he left the university with no degree at all.

This sort of anxiety – that we are not good enough – is something that most of us suffer from at some point. I have talked about it before in relation to my teaching and marking and in relation to judging ourselves by others’ progress. I think the reason my PhD thesis was submitted at the last minute (literally – a friend had her car engine running to get me to student registry on time from across campus) was because I was reluctant to let it go, to send it out for examination and judgement because it might not be good enough. I am now struggling to turn that thesis into a monograph, not because it was found wanting at my VIVA (it was not), or just because I struggle to find the time (though I do) but because I am, underneath, anxious that it will not be good enough. A journal rejected a chapter of it as an article; will the peer reviewers of my book reject the whole thing?

I have a book contract with a reputable publisher, so the idea has already been deemed publishable, but I procrastinate and delay and try to hunt out any other text I could possibly look at to make sure there is nothing obviously missing from my work.

I will just have to get it done and send it off to them very soon, or I will miss the REF deadline and my new employer, who took a chance on my potential to publish and gave me a job, will not be pleased. But this anxiety I feel at letting them down, although I feel it, is not as strong as the anxiety I feel about sending my work out into the realms of academic criticism. So I delay, and the deadline gets closer and I know I will have to send off work I am not entirely happy with when I run out of time. I tell myself I work better under pressure, but really this is because I can no longer put it off.

I thought that if he had had the right kind of support and encouragement, that anxious student might have got all of his work submitted. I don’t know what sort of support he received beyond the deferral, but I am starting to think that whatever it was it wouldn’t have been enough. I think he’d rather withdraw than risk not meeting expectations (though whose expectations, I am not sure).

It’s tempting, isn’t it, to avoid putting our work ‘out there’. I could do that with this book, but it would be such a waste of my time, effort and energy to prevent myself from going forward because of this anxiety.

There can be many obstacles to overcome in the ‘world outside’. Let’s try hard not to be our own worst enemies.



This is post is connected to Amy Palko's Beautiful Beliefs writing circle.

4 comments:

Raven said...

So much! We let those fears and anxieties keep us smaller than we could be. I know I'm guilty of it all the time and I see it with clients too. "I won't write that because no one wants to hear what I have to say" etc. Thank you for calling it out into the light!

Karen B said...

Thank you for this post! It's reassuring to know that others share my anxieties about the whole 'not being good enough' thing. I, too put things off for fear of being judged as not good enough - but I'm hoping that with work, this will diminish!

Kerrie W. said...

I can relate to this post so much and definitely to the student. I definitely suffer from crippling anxiety and I strived to get the best marks in my undergraduate degree, but I pushed all the deadlines. When it came time to do my honours thesis, my anxiety was so great that I procrastinated it for months, received an extension, procrastinated again and finally received a grade of '0' because I passed it in so late that there was nothing else my supervisor could do for me. I felt like a complete failure for a while. Then I picked myself up and enrolled in a 1 year college program. Now I am nearing the end and the same extreme anxiety is creeping up on me. I have opened 11 different word documents and started my paper again and again because I think that nothing I write is good enough. I hope that one day I will believe in myself and get confidence. Sorry for the long post, but I could really relate to this blog post.

Autumn Song said...

Kerrie, don't let the anxiety win! And try not to be so hard on yourself - this sort of anxiety is much more widespread than you might think.

You've given yourself a second go by enrolling on a different program, and you're getting to the end. Think about how good you will feel when you've finished it!

I heard two good pieces of advice for these sorts of problems:

1. The great is the enemy of the good. (Don't put pressure on yourself to be absolutely brilliant. It's counter-productive. No one expects complete brilliance from undergrad students)

2. With some projects / assignments, you cannot cover all of the bases. You can't 'finish' but you do, at some point before the deadline, have to 'stop' (I should pay attention to this with my book research, really!). That doesn't mean that you don't need to do any research, but you cannot possibly read and take account of everything.

If the anxiety is SO bad that it's preventing you from achieving something that you really want, then perhaps you could try some counselling? You could also see if you can discuss your ideas with your tutor/supervisor before you write. Get as much support as you can