Tuesday 18 December 2007

To the previous owner...

Dear Previous Owner of my New Flat,

Everyone leaves loose ends when they move house. It's almost inevitable. Things we forget to do / change / arrange. I am aware, also, that the speed of the move, which was down to the necessity of me moving in quickly, will not have helped in tidying these up before you left. Nevertheless, many of these could have been dealt with by now, by informing various organisations and offices of your new address (which, although I have asked for it in order to forward your mail, you choose not to give to me).

So, I have telephoned the TV Licensing people to explain to them that I do have a TV licence, and that you moved out, so they need not send anyone to the flat to interview the 'legal occupier' under caution regarding their failure to pay for a license, or respond to their letters.

I have telephoned the Debt Collection Agency, who sent you a postcard informing you of their intention to visit, to cancel their appointment to see you.

I spoke to the lady from the Magistrates' Court who came to the door looking for you, and explained that you do not live at the flat anymore, and I have no forwarding address. I then telephoned her after she left a card explaining that it is in your interests to contact her, a week later. She clearly did not believe me the first time when I told her you were not here. I have just received a further call from the same lady, and directed her to the Estate Agent, so that they can put her in contact with you.

Although I tried to set up a landline telephone from which I could have made these calls, I can't, because when you left, you did not cancel your account. They cannot let me take over the line (unless I also want to take over your bill) until they get in contact with you so that you can tell them to close your account. Thus, I can have no telephone or Internet connection at home, until you see fit to tidy up these loose ends.


I am beginning to understand why you do not want me to have your new address....

2 comments:

ThePhDLitChick said...

Eeek - what a nightmare. Particularly disturbing is the phone/internet aspect. That would drive me absolutely insane. Can you direct BT to the estate agent to get to the previous owner? It's desperately irresponsible of him (I'm assuming it's a him, perhaps unfairly!) and such a burden on you.

Autumn Song said...

Supermum has done what she can with the estate agent etc, so we wait and see...