Thursday 15 May 2008

Dear HR...

So, I'm taking a brief break from the umpteenth job application (yes, I am grateful there are jobs I can apply for, but it gets a bit wearing when you work hard at the applications, which take time, and then you don't hear anything at all from these Institutions) and I wander down to the staff pigeonholes to see if I have any mail. I do - sadly it's not an invitation to interview; it's a letter from Human Resources here confirming that my contract comes to an end at the end of next month.

Thank you, HR. I understand that. I am already aware of that. In fact, I am painfully aware of that, and have been since I moved at short notice away from the Beautiful Scottish City that I Miss for a short term contract and started the job.

Please, stop telling me.

This may seem like an over-reaction to one letter. But, you see, this isn't the first letter. A month or so ago I received a letter from HR reminding me that my contract was due to expire at the end of June. I then had a meeting with the Head of Department to confirm my appointment as I had passed my probationary period, at which he told me we would soon have to have a meeting to discuss my impending contract termination ("Yes, good timing, isn't it?"). Then, I had an email to arrange this meeting, and then a very formal letter confirming the time of the meeting and its content - to discuss the termination of my contract. We had the meeting, at which we discussed, to the Head of Department's credit, the sad but unavoidable termination of my contract, and then I received a letter from him containing the outcome of this meeting - my contract will be terminated at the end of June.

So today, mid-job application, HR have written to me to say that after my previous meeting with Head of Department, and the written-up content of that discussion they had received from him, they would like to formally confirm that my contract will expire at the end of June, and thank me for my contribution to the university. "Please return all University property (including such things as office keys) to your Head of Department or other authorised person no later than your last day of employment".

Do not let the door hit your behind on your way out.

Please mark 6 dissertations, 40, 4000word projects, and 70 exam scripts before you leave.

I like this job. It's been tiring, and challenging, and difficult to adjust to a new place, but I like the University and the Department, and I feel like I've just started to settle in and be happy here, and soon I will have to leave. I know this. And I know that the University is legally obliged to remind me of this. But, enough is enough. So please, let me get on with with my other job applications and my marking without any more reminders, discussions or confirmations.

I really don't need to hear it again.

3 comments:

ThePhDLitChick said...

Och you poor thing. I'm sure you are painfully aware of the lack of a continuing contract and now is not the time to remind you of it.
I hope you can keep reminding yourself of the fact that it was extremely positive that you got a position immediately after completion your PhD, that you did an excellent job at your current post, evidenced by the 'regret' comments from your HoD and that you passed your viva with flying colours. The results of your hard, hard work this year will include an excellent reference among them (as well as a very nice graduation certificate) and this, despite the fact your contract will end soon, is still something to be very pleased with. It may be a great support in your job applications and could easily push you ahead of other candidates.
Hope you're feeling better about this soon though I do understand your reaction.

ThePhDLitChick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Autumn Song said...

Thanks for your positive spin on this! I'm filling in the job applications and keeping my fingers crossed. Not a lot else I can do for the time being!