Thursday 1 May 2008

Flashbacks?

Today I had to re-open the thesis.

I have to fix the typos and print off the version to be bound and submitted before the university will let me graduate. I didn't think it would be difficult. I didn't think it would be stressful.

But it is.

Suddenly I find myself terrified that the computer will crash and it will eat a whole chapter. Or worse, when I move it into one document to create a pdf file, I will lose all of it. I do have back-up copies of all the chapters , but they are on the university network in the Beautiful Scottish City that I Miss. I don't have time to go and get them. I should have done these corrections ages ago, and then there would have been no rush. But a couple of months ago I thought that there was no rush.

Perhaps I'm finding this so difficult because an impending thesis deadline - one which makes a difference to when / if I graduate, despite the fact I have passed the VIVA - reminds me of thesis submission day. I did not have fun. It wasn't a triumphant moment. It was hurried, and stressful and exhausting. And I don't remember it fondly. I don't think I ever will. And another hurried print out and submission - and this time I have to travel some distance to take it where it needs to be and present it in three different formats - does not fill me with joy.

So, I'll hit save every time I change anything. And I'll pay the extra to have the bindery turn it around quickly so I can take it to the Beautiful Scottish City that I Miss in plenty of time. And I'll ask the IT people for help creating the pdf document. Hopefully, they will know what they are doing.

This time I'm hoping for a happier memory of thesis submission. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

ThePhDLitChick said...

At least you have a thesis to open! I am certain that it will be fine, that your experience this time round will be far less traumatic than your original submission deadline. Best of luck. x