Wednesday 8 October 2008

Tempting...

This year, at the beginning of the academic year, I thought I'd try to stamp out my problem with student abbreviations of my name very early on. So, in the very first class when I introduced myself (sorry, the pseudonym makes this hard, but bear with me...), I said: "Welcome to First-Year English Lit. I am [Dr. Autumn Song]. I'd like these seminars to be quite informal so please call me [Autumn]. If I get you to call me [Dr. Song] you won't talk to me. Please don't call me [Aut], though, I'm not a big fan."

They seemed to accept this in the first group. In the second a very bright young man said "Can we call you [Dr. Song] if we want to? It sounds really cool."

I'm not supposed to say, "Yes it does!" at this point, am I...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds real cool to me too!!